Thursday, October 18, 2012

Stop! Surgerytime.

It's time. After 6 years of pain, several rounds of physical therapy, 2 rhizotomies, 12+ pain procedures and countless OMT appointments. Not to mention the numerous "life events" I have missed out on because I was either in too much pain to take part or I was recovering from a pain procedure. Then there are the events I didn't fully enjoy because of the pain. Wasted time.

When I first started receiving the steroid injections* I could get 3 months or more of pain relief. Recently, the relief has lasted about a month...when I'm lucky. I have talked to my neurosurgeon a couple times, over the years, about surgery. He was willing to do it, when I was ready. But I wasn't, until recently. With the lack of pain relief, surgery started looking better and better. Then I got engaged, started planning a wedding and really focusing on the future. About a month before my wedding I woke up and couldn't move my neck. I hadn't done anything other than sleep wrong. I couldn't have another procedure, my last one had only been a month prior. I could get a massage but that wasn't going to be long term and it wasn't cheap. Then I started wondering what would happen when we (God willing) have a family. I wasn't going to be able to check out every 3 months for 2 + days to have a procedure, and what about all the days when I can't lift things because I know it will be too much for my neck...I'm sure my kids will be real understanding of that. So, I talked to my Pain Management doc about having another MRI and then set up an appointment with my neurosurgeon.

Full disclosure: I was hoping my MRI would come back with bells and whistles screaming MUST HAVE SURGERY. Then I could stop coming up with reasons why I'm not doing it (I can still use my arm/hand, I'm too young, it's too much time off work, it's a risky surgery). No such luck. Actually, the opposite....the MRI showed the herniation was marginally smaller than the last scans. WHAT? Then why am I in constant pain and why aren't the procedures working? Ultimate frustration.

I almost canceled my surgery consult. ALMOST. And then I made an important realization. I was feeling uncomfortable about "electing" to have a surgery that medical tests were not saying was mandatory. All my other surgeries (and you know there have been a few) were must-dos: you break your arm in a car accident, you have surgery to put it back together; you tear your ACL, you repair it; you have seizures, you remove the scar tissue, but this...not fixing this won't result in a deformed arm, a non-working leg or a lifetime of seizures....so really, is it necessary? But I started thinking about what it could result in, more medical bills and time off work for a short term solution; more wasted time missing out on life; more daily pain that can be triggered from anything from a work out to sleeping wrong. And then what happens when we have a family and it gets worse and I then need to have the surgery. Talk about missing out on life.

So, it's time. Surgery is scheduled for December 10. I'm scared. I will be in the hospital over night. I will be off work for at least a month. I will be bored. I will be sore. It will be worth it. I have so much life to live and I can't do it when I'm in constant pain. I emailed a co-worker who had the surgery and she responded, "Jodie, Jodie, Jodie...You who have had TWO brain surgeries are worried about a little disc repair?" Does seem a little silly, I suppose. But yes, yes I am. But I am more worried about how my life might be impacted if I don't get it done now. And big picture, I think I will regret it down the road,  if I don't do it now. So, it's time.

*The same steroid injections that are responsible for a fungal meningitis outbreak that has claimed at least 19 lives. Thankfully my pain clinic does not get their drugs from the Massachusetts company responsible. Still...another point for surgery. 

1 comment:

  1. You know that many people (me included) will be praying for you from now until the surgery is successfully completed. Just remember whose hands you are in. Love, Aunt Peggy (your favorite aunt)

    ReplyDelete